20 HIIT Workouts for Women at Home
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) has revolutionized at-home workouts, allowing women to achieve maximum results without needing to step out of the house. Whether in the comfort of your living room or the peace of your backyard, you can now sweat it out effectively and efficiently with ease. Tailored especially for women, these HIIT exercises target specific areas while ensuring overall fitness. This post helps you discover the top HIIT workouts for women that are suitable for both beginners and experienced fitness enthusiasts.
Ready to “HIIT” it? Let’s go!
The Best HIIT Workout Gear
The right tools can elevate your workout, keep you safe, and boost comfort. So, before you start your HIIT workout, you’ll want to arm yourself with the right gear. Here's a list of essentials for a successful HIIT session:
- Supportive Cross-Training Shoes: A good HIIT session requires shoes that provide stability and support, ensuring safety and effectiveness during rapid transitions.
- TRUEENERGY® Workout Socks: Drawing inspiration from NASA's research on Infrared Technology, TRUEENERGY® Workout Socks harness the power of infrared energy. By synergizing with your body's warmth, they facilitate improved circulation, faster healing, tissue regeneration, and temporary pain relief.
- Heart Rate Monitor: Keeping track of your heart rate is crucial to monitor your workout's intensity and progress over time.
- Grip-Enhancing Workout Gloves: Not only do they protect your hands, but gloves also offer an improved grip, especially useful during weightlifting or equipment-heavy workouts.
- Moisture-Wicking Attire: Choose clothing that fits snugly but doesn't restrict your movements. It's essential to have gear that wicks away sweat, especially during intense HIIT sessions, to keep you dry and comfortable.
- Jump Rope & Resistance Band Combo: Introduce an additional cardio element with a jump rope and enhance strength training efforts with a versatile resistance band.
- Workout Straps: These are essential for extra support and cushioning, particularly for joint-intensive exercises.
- Clean Towel: Always have one at hand, not just for personal comfort but also for wiping down any equipment you use.
- Hand Sanitizer: Hygiene first! A must-have, especially if you're working out in public or shared spaces.
- Hydration Essential - Water Bottle: HIIT can be draining, so it's imperative to stay hydrated throughout to maintain performance and recover faster post-workout.
Warming Up for HIIT: Top 5 Exercises
Before launching into the intensity of a HIIT workout, it's crucial to prepare your body with an effective warm-up. These five exercises will help increase your heart rate, loosen up your joints, and get your muscles ready for action:
- Dynamic Leg Swings: Holding onto a wall or sturdy surface, swing one leg forward and backward in a controlled motion, then switch legs. This helps open up the hips and stretches the hamstrings and quads.
- Arm Circles: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and extend your arms out to the sides. Make small circles with your arms, gradually increasing the size. After a few seconds, reverse the direction.
- High Knees: Standing tall, march in place while bringing your knees up towards your chest. It's a great way to get the heart rate up and warm up the legs.
- Inchworms: Start in a standing position. Bend at the waist and touch the ground, then walk your hands out to a plank position. Walk your hands back to your feet and stand up. This is excellent for stretching the hamstrings and warming up the core.
- Jumping Jacks: A classic warm-up move, jumping jacks are perfect for raising the heart rate and warming up the entire body.
Let’s make our way to the main HIIT event you’ve been waiting for, starting with HIIT home workouts for female Beginners that don’t require any equipment (unless you want to in #1).
HIIT Workouts for Female Beginners - No Equipment
if you’re looking for a HIIT workout at home, you can kickstart your journey with these beginner-friendly exercises. These HIIT exercises for women are practically made for that. And no expensive equipment or gym membership is needed.
1. Simple at Home HIIT Workout No equipment
The first activity on this list is one of the best beginning HIIT workouts for women at home. To start, select one straightforward cardio activity such as brisk walking. Warm up, then alternate between a 10-second sprint and a 50-second rest. Repeat this cycle six times, adjusting rest periods as you progress. A treadmill can substitute for the outdoors if you want to use one at the gym or home.
2. Brief HIIT Routine
This 5-minute workout comprises five exercises. Engage in each for 40 seconds, with a 20-second break in between. Repeat the routine up to four times for an exhaustive session. Follow along with the detailed Group HIIT YouTube video.
3. Introductory HIIT Session
This routine emphasizes bodyweight exercises and is especially considerate for those with weight concerns or certain joint challenges. Its low-impact nature ensures a comfortable progression. Engage in each exercise for 30 seconds, pausing for a 15-second interval. After each round, take a one-minute breather. Typically, the session spans 20-30 minutes, depending on if you choose 3 to 5 rounds. For a complete breakdown and visual representation of each 7 steps and moves, please refer to the original article by the Onnit Academy.
4. Intense Five-Minute HIIT Circuit
Though brief at just five minutes, this HIIT workout for female beginners delivers a powerful HIIT punch. With exercises like skaters and the inventive side climbers (an alternative to traditional mountain climbers), you'll complete a two-round circuit that's sure to get the heart pumping. For a step-by-step demonstration, watch the complete workout in this video.
5. Bodyweight HIIT: The 30-20-10 Challenge
Here, you engage in a session where moderate exercises mix with high-intensity bursts, guaranteeing a full cardio burn. By the conclusion of this workout, expect to feel accomplished and rejuvenated. To see the routine in action, check out this YouTube link.
Top HIIT Exercises
The next HIIT workouts have grown popular for their blend of intensity and efficiency. Whether you're looking to tone, build stamina, or simply switch up your routine, these exercises cater to every fitness aspiration.
6. Total Body HIIT Session
Designed specifically for home settings, this popular 20-minute HIIT workout is especially great for apartment living. The low-impact, varied exercises mean no disruptions with loud jumps. For a complete experience, consider following along with the creator's suggested warm-up and cool-down routines. Experience the full HIIT workout by the full HIIT session here!
7. Tabatha Training
Tabata offers a blend of intense activities and short rest periods. Begin with a warm-up, engage in four-minute rounds (or start with two), and conclude with a cool-down. For a more intense experience, check out this 30-minute Killer HIIT Tabata workout video.
8. Burpee Boost
Often considered the quintessential HIIT exercise, burpees combine four different exercises to provide a full-body challenge that targets multiple muscle groups simultaneously. Perfect for those seeking an intense and efficient workout, burpees are both loved and feared in the fitness world. Plunge right into this powerful workout with this comprehensive burpee session.
9. Shuffle Suicides
With #9, you can harness the agility and cardiovascular benefits of shuffle suicides. This back-and-forth sprinting drill, inspired by basketball training, is a fantastic way to elevate your heart rate and improve lateral movement. If you're up for the challenge, check out this dynamic shuffle suicide routine.
10. Jump Rope Revival
Jump roping is a cardio powerhouse that tones legs, arms, and core. To protect your hips and knees, ensure proper form and consider jumping on softer surfaces like a gym mat. With options for beginners to advanced levels, it's a versatile HIIT exercise. This article by Velites Sports provides jump rope HIIT Workouts and best practices you can reference for motivation.
HIIT Workouts for Weight Loss
Research indicates that just a half-hour of HIIT can torch up to 30% more calories than activities like weightlifting, jogging, or cycling. With such impressive results, it's no wonder that HIIT has become a go-to for weight loss. Eager to burn fat fast? These next HIIT workouts are your ultimate game-changer.
11. Calorie Killer Cardio Boost
This HIIT workout for women at home or the gym is a 30-minute calorie-burning powerhouse. Incorporating exercises like plank raises, skater jumps, and wall balls, it promises a diverse, no-repeat routine. Catering to medium to advanced fitness enthusiasts, the session consists of 50 seconds of intense work followed by a 10-second rest. To aid recovery, it rounds off with a 5-minute cool-down stretch. Plunge into the fiery cardio challenge with this full workout session.
12. Quick Cardio HIIT Blast 4/20s Intervals
The Quick Cardio HIIT Blast lets you engage in a powerful 5-minute cardio HIIT session designed for intense calorie burning. Using 40s work and 20s rest intervals, this workout incorporates dynamic bodyweight movements like pulsing jump squats, frog jumps, and plank. For a comprehensive session, consider repeating the routine 3 to 4 times. Experience the heart-pumping action with the full workout video.
13. Knee-Friendly Body Fat Burning Workout
Strength training sculpts the body while burning fat, but unfortunately, excess pounds can put undue stress on the knees. This video is perfect for those seeking intensity without the knee punishers like lunges, jumps, or squats. The session consists of 4 rounds, with 30 seconds of active exercise and a 10-second breather. With movements like dumbbell swings and unique calf raise variations, this routine not only gets your heart rate soaring but also highlights the muscle groups worked.
14. 20-Minute Cardio and HIIT Session
This one is one of the better HIIT workouts for women's weight loss if you have a busy schedule and no time to waste. In just 20 minutes, this HIIT routine can ignite a calorie blaze. Engage in intense one-minute bursts, followed by brief rests—no equipment needed. Stay alert to the bottom-right section of the screen to anticipate the next move. The routine includes activities like high knees, cross-jumps, mountain climbers, and a transition from kneeling to jumping. Check it out here.
15. Trainer's Top 10 HIIT Routine
You can unlock the potential of your workout time with this curated session, which incorporates the top 10 calorie-burning exercises recommended by personal trainers, set within a HIIT structure. After a 5-minute warm-up of your preferred moderate-paced cardio, you'll engage in exercises such as burpees, press-ups, and kettlebell swings. Each exercise lasts for 30 seconds, followed by a 30-second recovery. Finish off with a cool-down walk for five minutes, decreasing your pace as you go. Check out the routine here.
Advanced and Spot-Training HIIT Workouts
Get started on a more challenging HIIT journey with these advanced routines. Specifically crafted for those familiar with the HIIT technique, these exercises challenge your stamina and strength. Brace yourself for the next level, make sure you’re ready. Performing exercises beyond your capability might strain your muscles, and you may get injured.
16. Advanced 30-Minute HIIT for Full-Body Activation
This 30-minute at-home HIIT workout will really boost your cardio game, especially when you're training alongside POPSUGAR Fitness's Charlee Atkins. In this advanced HIIT workout video, you'll experience high-intensity intervals incorporating lunges and jumping jacks. But that's not all: There's a core activation segment that you'll certainly remember the next day. After putting in all that effort, you'll be rewarded with a calming cooldown.
17. 15-Minute ABS of Steel Workout
It's a well-known fact that diet plays a significant role in chiseling those abs, but coupling it with this rigorous workout will enhance that sculpted look. Stepping into Day 6 of the HIIT IT HARDER Challenge, you're presented with a 15-minute session that targets the entirety of your core region—from the upper and lower abs to the obliques. This advanced-level, circuit-style training requires just 30 seconds per exercise—and the best part? No equipment is necessary. If a stronger and more toned core is on your wish list, this is the video you want to use.
18. 20-minute Plyometrics HIIT workout
Unleash your athletic potential with this 20-minute Plyometrics HIIT workout, designed to elevate your calorie burn and overall athleticism. The regimen focuses on explosive movements, engaging stabilizer muscles to enhance strength and reduce injury risk. You'll tackle exercises like the Lunge to Knee Drive Jump, 1/4 Burpee, and Plyo Lateral Push-Ups. While this session promises an intense workout, it's advised for those familiar with exercise due to its high-impact nature. Remember to emphasize speed and control throughout. Give it your all and experience the exhilaration with the full workout video!
19. Upper Body Uprising: HIIT Punches
HIIT workouts focused on the upper body can often be more challenging than those for the lower or total body. This is primarily because the muscles in the upper body are usually smaller and aren't as resilient as those in our legs, which are accustomed to supporting our body weight daily. Looking for a unique upper body routine? Consider an upper-body HIIT workout centered on dynamic punches. With just a set of light dumbbells at home, his routine can be effective and invigorating. Here's a quick breakdown:
- Engage in 30 seconds of straight, alternating punches.
- Move on with 30 seconds of punches directed to your right side.
- Switch to 30 seconds of punches aimed at your left side.
- Conclude with 30 seconds of overhead punches.
Tailor the number of rounds to your fitness level and desired intensity.
20. Legs for Days: Lower Body HIIT Circuit
Wrap up your advanced HIIT series with this dedicated lower-body circuit. Introducing a fusion of cardio and strength training, this session is your go-to for sculpting lean, strong legs right from your home. Designed as both a dumbbell workout and a leg HIIT, it seamlessly merges the best of both worlds, promising an intense leg burnout. Featuring the top lower-body dumbbell exercises, this workout is a comprehensive take on strength and endurance. Ready to challenge those legs? Get started with the full workout video.
Tips for a Successful At-Home HIIT Workout
Consider these essential tips for a successful and efficient session:
- Warm-Up Properly: Before diving into the intensity, make sure you're properly warmed up. A 5-10 minute warm-up can prime your muscles, improve your performance, and reduce the risk of injury.
- Quality Over Quantity: It's more beneficial to focus on shorter, more intense sessions than longer, less efficient ones. Remember, it's about pushing your limits during those short bursts, not the length of the workout itself.
- Use Proper Form: It's easy to compromise on form when you're pushing yourself to the limit, but maintaining proper form is essential to avoid injury and ensure you're getting the most out of every movement.
- Listen to Your Body: If something doesn't feel right, or if you're too exhausted to maintain proper form, it's okay to take a break. Pushing yourself is great, but it's also crucial to recognize your limits.
- Cool Down: Just as you warm up, ensure you cool down after your workout. This helps reduce muscle soreness and aids in recovery.
- Mix It Up: Avoid hitting a plateau by varying your exercises. Different exercises challenge different muscles and can keep your workouts fresh and engaging.
- Track Your Progress: Use a heart rate monitor or a fitness tracker. Not only does it give you tangible proof of your progress, but it can also be incredibly motivating.
- Rest and Recover: While HIIT is effective, recovery days are crucial. Your muscles need time to repair and grow stronger. Make sure to get adequate sleep, and consider activities like yoga or stretching on your off days.
- Stay Consistent: As with any fitness routine, consistency is key. Ensure you're sticking to a regular schedule, and you'll see results in no time.
By following these tips and integrating them into your HIIT routine, you're setting yourself up for success and ensuring you get the most out of every sweaty, heart-pumping session.
Is 20 minutes of HIIT per day enough?
Absolutely! Even if you're short on time, a quick at-home workout, including micro-HIIT workouts that range from 3-20 minutes, can blow off steam and boost your metabolism. The intensity and structure of the workout can lead to significant calorie burn and cardiovascular benefits in a short period.
What type of HIIT is best for weight loss?
While there are numerous HIIT exercises beneficial for weight loss, those that incorporate moves like burpees, plank jacks, and jump squats burn the most fat. The specifics of a HIIT workout, such as how long it lasts, the intensity, rest intervals, and the number of rounds, should be tailored to each person's fitness level, preferences, and objectives.
How Many Times Per Week Should You Do HIIT Workouts?
HIIT is super effective, but it's also tough on the body, which means recovery time is essential. It's not recommended to do it every day. Many trainers suggest two to three HIIT sessions a week. These can be done on weightlifting days, either immediately after lifting or with a break in between or on separate days.
Is HIIT good for weight loss?
Yes, part of the big draw of HIIT is that it gives you excellent calorie-torching potential in a short time frame. The high-intensity nature of the workout elevates your heart rate quickly, leading to a higher calorie burn both during and after the session (known as the afterburn effect or excess post-exercise oxygen consumption - EPOC). Coupled with a balanced diet, HIIT can be a powerful tool for weight loss.We hope you enjoyed our roundup of HIIT for women exercises. Ready to take your HIIT sessions to the next level? Don't forget to slip into a pair of TRUEENERGY® Workout Socks. Experience enhanced circulation, faster recovery, and added comfort as you push through those high-intensity intervals. Elevate your workout game—get your TRUEENERGY® socks today!